Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Rounds that are Grand


Tuesdays have been entirely discombobulating for me lately. I've been managing Grand Rounds for a few weeks. I won't be doing it much longer; there's a new person to do the administrative stuff. I'll be in charge of getting funding for it, though -- applying for grants, etc. (Do not ask me what "etc" is in this case, maybe begging on street corners? Exploiting friends and acquaintances? Publicity stunts?) But the whole rhythm of the day is off, especially because it's such a whirlwind of activity on Tuesday mornings through 1 pm, when the talk is over. Didn't you always think that Grand Rounds had to do with a bunch of doctors and residents going from room to room and reviewing patients? In our case, GR is a lecture series. A very interesting lecture series! One of the best things about handling GR has been attending the talks. Although a lot of it goes over my head, I always learn a lot too. And plus, I get a free lunch, if you believe in free lunches, which I don't. I work for my lunch.

In Book Fest news, I just started the first of the Maisie Dobbs books last night. I mean, I got 3 pages into it before I fell asleep. Wait, that didn't come out right -- I was reading in bed! It was very interesting, I just have a sleep disorder! I conk out at the smallest provocation. I look forward to reading more tonight. The kind folks, I mean people, at the Book Fest loaned me the first two books in the series, although I will be formally (or as formal as this blog gets) reviewing the latest book in the series. But it will be very helpful for me to know the beginning and learn all about who Maisie Dobbs is. So far, we know she is a detective. Perhaps I will learn more as I read more pages... that seems likely, doesn't it?

Did I mention lately that I lurve mysteries??? And I can tell already that I am going to like these books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love mysteries, too.  I hate to admit it, but I pretty much only read mysteries these days.  I do love Jeeves and Wooster, though.  I look forward to your review. My sister just received a Maisie Dobbs as a gift and I'm next in line to read it. 

Catherine said...

I know, mysteries are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, too. Reading one seems like watching an episode of Law and Order -- not particularly edifying, but very satisfying.

However, I plan to take some time out for the new Jodi Picoult book.