Sunday, September 30, 2007

Glamour shots of deer...

... and other fun on the Skyline Drive. I was going to begin this post by saying that one advantage of being single is that you can be spontaneous, hopping into the car on a moment's notice for an outdoor adventure, but it was actually my friend K, her husband, and their two girls who started this ball rolling. They decided at the last minute to head down from DC to the Skyline Drive and stay overnight. They called to see if I could meet them up there. I almost said no out of total laziness, but then I came to my senses. We met at Big Meadows -- they were staying in the lodge there. There are some gorgeous views of the Shenandoah Valley from the lodge:



The deer in this area of the park are fairly tame. They didn't come right up to us, but they didn't seem too concerned about our presence either. Here is a buck in the parking lot:


This is probably the best wildlife shot I've ever taken:


And I think this one should go on the cover of Vogue -- could she look more pretty?:

This doe seems to be telling us off:


These are my friends' children -- and also friends of mine -- we had a great time hiking around the Big Meadows:


And climbing on piles of gravel in the Park Maintenance area:

Some of the grown-ups like to clamber up as well:


I just loved this tree, growing in the meadow itself. The trunk really is as white as it looks in the picture:

We walked for a couple of hours and then ate dinner in the lodge restaurant, which was packed. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and it was nice to spend some of it outside, and great to spend time with friends. Just a perfect day.

No comments: