Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A dreary day

How I wish the weather didn't affect me so much! But I found it hard to get out of bed this morning, hard to get motivated at work, hard to walk what with the aches and pains, plus I wish I could have stayed at home today enjoying MY NEW ROOF. I'm not posting pictures yet, because there's not *that* much difference between an old roof and a new roof, although there's no moss on this one and it will last until I'm 78 and it features the famed "architectural shingles" which I think is a hilarious term. Aren't most shingles architectural in nature? Why can't we just call these "especially nice looking shingles, featuring variations in color and texture"? Ok, that's a long phrase, but "architectural" just doesn't seem right. Despite their gorgeousness, no one gets to see the house until it is completely done.

The best part of living with animals (yes, another brilliant segue) is that no matter what kind of mood you are in when you wake up, you *will* laugh before breakfast. There was nothing too unusual this morning -- Rosalie almost hurled herself off the bed in an attempt to get me to pet her belly and soon Max will be jumping as high as my head while waiting for his meals -- but they're just fun and entertaining all the time.

Last night I finished "An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England" and I highly recommend it, especially for those who read a lot or have studied literature. It was really funny and, while absurd, never descended into the incomprehensibly absurd as some writers tend to do. Warning: as a result of reading this book, you will feel that you are a bumbler. But do not be afraid, for it is the human condition.

Just started "Away" by Amy Bloom this morning and have enjoyed the first few pages and look forward to an evening of reading tonight. My current lunch-time book -- I keep an e-book on my Palm at all times -- is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" and I can't believe I put off reading it until now. Somehow the reviews never made it sound as appealing as it actually is -- the main character is extremely appealing. And I keep laughing out loud in the cafeteria.

Well, I'm blogging myself right into a much better mood. I wonder why that happens... and whether it is at all connected to the delicious apple dumpling I had for dessert today.

No comments: