Friday, October 26, 2007

Simple pleasures and complicated feelings

I began the day feeling pretty upbeat. I was singing at the top of my lungs to the soundtrack of "Hairspray" and when I got to my parking spot, I bundled up and took out my umbrella. My umbrella is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I never had a really good one before -- two jobs ago, I worked in a place with an excess of cheapo, left-behind umbrellas so I used those, and then my last job had parking right outside the building, so I went on using a cheapo umbrella when needed.

I can't park near my current job, and I realized that if I was going to handle rainy days well at all, I was going to need a large umbrella, and being me, I was hoping to find a large AND pretty umbrella. I found just what I wanted at Studio Art in Charlottesville:


Isn't it purty, and cheery? This picture is actually of the compact version -- mine is hunormous, with a wooden structure/handle. It covers me completely, protecting my clothing and it can usually be held in the "Morton Salt Girl" position, unless the rain is going sideways or something:


So I was walking along this morning with my giant, cheery umbrella and enjoying the rain.

Once I was here, I saw a health news story that has me reeling. It's about serious mental illness shaving 25 years off one's life expectancy. 25 years! Most of the problem is the increased risk of cardiovascular disease. The only link I have is to Medline which requires registration. It's worth registering there, in my opinion, to get up-to-date health information, but you can probably subvert them with bugmenot.

Anyway, since I already have high cholesterol keeping my depression company, I sent this link to my doctor in the hope that we start treating that aggressively, with medication. But with my 49th birthday looming, I am gloomily feeling that I may not have much more time here, and that scares me a lot! So that's where I am, heading into the weekend, which will probably be a combination of meditative rumination and running around appreciating every good and beautiful thing I see...

No comments: