Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A new resolution

So I tried something new today at work -- monitoring and cutting back my web browsing time. It's just too easy to get carried away and the internet is too great a distraction from work. I decided I would have timed internet breaks, and only a few of those. I am happy to report that it worked very well. I usually have to have a web browser open to use PubMed and my online dictionary, but I closed any personal tabs, including my personal email and also my newsreader.

I found that during my internet breaks I was very focused and discerning about what I wanted to read -- much more selective and less of an information junkie. Although I kind of like that I'm an information junkie, it really isn't good to be pursuing one's personal goals on the job, unless they pertain directly to that job. I am an absolute Googling wiz -- but there's only so far that skill will take you in life. And I'm sure it's good to stay in touch with housing trends by browsing property online, but I can do that on my own time.

I wound up getting a lot more done than on those days when I let myself be distracted. I had one paper that I really had to buckle down and concentrate on, and this was at the end of the day and I was sorely tempted to procrastinate. But then I put on my headphones, played some white noise (tip: do not accidentally refer to this as "white music" in public), and edited some pages. At the end of the day, I felt productive and invigorated.

Well, the invigoration might have been because I had 10 hours of sleep last night. Yes, I'm still sleeping as if I am sleep-deprived. I think I just need a lot of sleep.

The capstone on my good day was meeting my neighbor's new beagle puppy. She is exceedingly cute and friendly and active and we had fun. Puppies next door are the bestest -- easily accessible, without the responsibility!

No comments: